Saturday, April 15, 2017

Liturgical Audit Part 3

A favorite hiking spot near my house

Giving up something for Lent came in a unique form for our Bible class this year. We started each class during Lent with two minutes of silence. We gave up precious class time to be still and lean into the quiet. This silence is a bridle of sorts, keeping me from charging ahead in the day's lesson. All year, but especially at the end of the year, I feel a sense of urgency with the 8th graders to experience and explore and equip. As a teacher, giving up time at the beginning of class is a discipline of being reminded that God knew these students before they were born, and He will hold them unto eternity. For me, communally taking these two minutes of precious class time reminds me that God is God.

At first, the students were giggly. Some chose disrespect, and spent the time making eye contact with friends. Once the awkward newness wore off, we settled in. And on this last week, I noticed that the silence came easily and completely. After our last day of silence for Lent, we did a short liturgical audit. As students reflected on WHAT they did during the silence, some typical answers came to the surface. "I prayed." "I relaxed." "I sat with my thoughts." One student shared that he "listened for God's voice." And I love that one student "prayed for strength against temptation."

These 13 and 14 year olds discovered some beautiful truths about what the practice of silence can do to us. Silence connects us with God in the midst of a busy life. Silence brings balance. Silence before God brings peace. Silence calms. Silence gives space for gratitude to God. One student shared that silence is necessary for him to make wise choices. He shared that when he was quiet, his stress level went down, and he could think more clearly. I resonate with one student's perspective that "silence allows a Christian to open their heart to hear God's voice." All of that, with only two minutes a class period.

As a Christian teacher, I am partnering with God in doing His work. I believe that within those few minutes of silence this Lenten season my students discovered something about God and relationship with Him that the other 7,200 minutes of my plans and objectives might never teach.

Be still and know that I am God. 
Psalm 46:10 NIV

Cease striving and know that I am God. 
I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth.
Psalm 46:10 NASB

No comments:

Post a Comment